- Jon Jones graces the cover of the newest UFC video game... Read more »
- Dominick Cruz and Renan Barao headlines UFC 169 alongsi... Read more »
- Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen set as coaches in TUF ... Read more »
- UFC 166 results: Velasquez stops Cigano in 5 rounds Read more »
- JDS: Trilogy will not end the Velasquez - dos Santos ri... Read more »
- UFC cuts Palhares following controversial submission wi... Read more »
- UFC Fight Night 29 recap: a night of upsets Read more »
Heavyweight prospect Stipe Miocic calls out Gabriel Gonzaga in UFC Tonight
Gabriel Gonzaga certainly made an impression with his KO win over Shawn Jordan at UFC 166 and it seems like he caught the attention of Stipe Miocic. The rising heavyweight prospect has expressed his interest in a possible fight with Napao in the recent edition of UFC Tonight.
The 31 year old Miocic has started his MMA record with 6-0 prior to his UFC career. Since then he racked up three straight wins with the promotion before suffering an upset KO at the hands of Stefan Struve. He returned to the winning column when he outpointed Roy Nelson in their heavyweight showdown last June and he wants to add the hard hitting Brazilian to the list of his victims. Meanwhile, Gonzaga has just recently come back to relevancy after back to back first round KOs of Dave Herman and Shawn Jordan. Gonzaga, who lost to randy Couture in his first bid for the title, has stated his interest for another run at the heavyweight gold in the interview after his win over Jordan.
That being said, Gonzaga’s camp has yet to say something about the potential matchup. Regardless, the two makes up for an interesting fight. Miocic has the advantage in speed and athleticism while Gonzaga will have the edge in the knockout power and submission department.
[Photos from finalroundsports.blogspot.com]View Article Source »
Adlan Amagov is looking to climb the welterweight ranks. Says he wants Shields or Kampmann for his next fight
Adlan Amagov wants to test himself against tougher oppositions after disposing T.J. Waldburger in the first round of their fight in UFC 166. The Russian prospect, which scored the most brutal knockout in the event, has set his sights on top rated welterweights Jake Shields and Martin Kampmann for his next UFC appearance.
“It all depends what UFC has planned for me, but I would like to fight in New Jersey on Feb. 1,” states Amagov through his interpreter. “I have a lot of fans in the area who would love to come support me. I’ll face whoever UFC wants to put in front of me, but I’d like to fight Martin Kampmann or Jake Shields.”Read the rest of the article »
Cigano does not fully remember the details of his title fight due to the prolonged beatdown that he suffered from Cain Velasquez
Former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was reported to suffer a mild amnesia after the brutal TKO loss to Cain Velasquez in their trilogy last Saturday.
JDS’ camp revealed in Combate.com (viafightersonly) that the former champ does not remember some of the parts from his previous title fight. Cigano, who was stopped in the final round, believes that he was knocked out in the just the second round. They also added that the former champ has no recollection of his interview right after the bout. Furthermore, Team Cigano thinks that their fighter was in “auto pilot mode” midway in the second round until the referee stoppage in the fifth.
Despite that, the tough Brazilian says that emotional pain is much worse than the beating that he received in his recent bout.
“I’m feeling good. I came to the hospital to have some stitches in the cut I had. The pain is only in the heart, because I didn’t manage to give a good performance in the Octagon. Now it’s time to go back to the gym and train, dedicate myself to come back stronger than ever and, who knows, some day dispute the championship again and be able to honor the support from everybody who believed in me.”
According to the report, Cigano was immediately taken to the hospital where he undergo brain scans to check for possible internal bleeding. Fortunately for Junior, the scan returned negative results. He was released a day after but he refused to be photographed.
[Photos from http://www.cavemancircus.com]
View Article Source »
TJ Grant won't be having an immediate title shot upon his octagon return according to Dana White
Canadian lightweight contender TJ Grant is tearing on the lightweight division before an injury altered his shot at the lightweight gold. He suffered a concussion while training for his title fight against then-champion Benson Henderson. As a result, he was pulled out of the bout and was replaced by Anthony Pettis who eventually wrestled the belt from Bendo. Grant has retained his number 1 status but the same injury would again force him out of the championship bout with Pettis.
Dana White, while saying that he feels bad for what happened to Grant, believes that the Canadian might have lost his chance for the title after missing it twice.
“T.J. Grant’s in one of those unfortunate situations where he had the title shot and he had to pull out twice,” says White after last Saturday’s UFC 166 in Houston. “He’s in limbo. He might come back and have to fight another fight. We’ve got to keep this thing rolling.”
Gilbert Melendez, who put on an impressive show in UFC 166, will likely be the man to take the spot of TJ Grant. White admits that El Nino’s performance makes it difficult to deny him of a title shot. Meanwhile, Grant is still on the process of recovering from the injury. The exact date of his octagon return has not been revealed up to now.
[Photos from kimura.se]View Article Source »
Junior dos Santos will have to go back in line for another shot at the heavyweight belt
Cain Velasquez cemented his spot as the greatest heavyweight of our era when he dismantled his rival Junior dos Santos for the second time in three meetings. Velasquez, now up with two wins, has not closed his doors to a JDS fight but he does not see it happening in the near future.
“I was just focused on winning,” Velasquez said. “Who’s to say that in five years that we won’t fight again, but for a while, it will be done.”
The rivalry has now ended after two definitive wins for Cain, the champ will now move on into a possible title defense against Brazilian submission ace Fabricio Werdum. On the other hand, the future remains unclear for the former heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos. With the sustained beating that he suffered from his last fight, it would be safe to say that Cigano will need a considerable amount of time to fully recover. Even Dana White expressed his dismay towards the officiating of the fight. There are few occasions on which White feels the fight should be stopped.
“I’m no doctor, but I have seen a lot of men who are too tough for their own good and JDS is one of them. He was out and this should be stopped,” wrote White in his Twitter page.
Despite the injuries and Cain’s seemingly dismissal of a future rematch, the infinitely tough Brazilian remains adamant on his chances that he will be fighting for the title again.
“I’m gonna go back home, train harder, come back, and face him again,” says dos Santos.
[Photos from kimura.se]View Article Source »
UFC 166’s Andrew Fili puts on an impressive performance when he stopped Jeremy Larsen in his octagon debut
Andre Fili, the only fighter who missed weight in the recently held UFC 166 has received an exemption from UFC president Dana White. According to White, there will be no hard feelings for Fili missing weight. After all, the team Alpha Male member has took the fight in 10 days notice as a replacement for the injured Charles Oliveira.Read the rest of the article »
Gilbert Melendez is back in the mix for a titleshot after his impressive win over Diego Sanchez
Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez moves back into title contention after he walked out with a W in the classic brawl against Diego Sanchez in the third featured fight of UFC 166 at Toyota Center in Houston, Texas. Both fighters had promised to make a statement prior to the bout and they certainly lived up to the hype. Melendez and Sanchez clearly stole the show by providing nonstop action for the entire 15 minutes of their lightweight showdown. Dana White praised the performance of both fighters in an interview after the event.Read the rest of the article »
Roy Nelson is delusional according to UFC president Dana White
It’s no secret that UFC president Dana White and TUF 10 winner Roy Nelson are not very fond of each other. White however, dismissed that notion that he has ill feelings towards the TUF winner. Instead, he insists that he tried his best to like Nelson but it is the latter’s words that created the rough relation between them.
“Contrary to popular belief, I try so hard to like Roy Nelson. It’s like I saw him backstage before I came out to talk to you guys. I was like, ‘What’s up Roy? You looked good. You lost weight,’ and this and that. Then I come out and hear the stupid s–t he said to you guys right before I walk out there.”
Fabricio Werdum will be the next man that will try to unseat heavyweight champ Cain Velaquez
Fabricio Werdum will likely have the shot at the heavyweight gold according to Dana White. The UFC president made the announcement right after Velasquez’ destruction of longtime rival Junior dos Santos in the main event of UFC 166.
“We’ll probably do Werdum,” White said. “It probably makes the most sense. His whole game has improved. He’s a big, strong, tough, durable guy. His striking has improved.”
White added that Werdum, with his superior ground game, will provide a different challenge for Cain.
“He’s going to want to take it to the ground,” White said of Werdum. “It makes this fight really interesting. Stylistically, we will see who has the better stand-up, and if it goes to the ground, I think for the first time that is a dangerous, dangerous fight for Velasquez.”
Velasquez, who is known to utilize his wrestling skills in most of his fights, will face a legitimate submission artist for the second time in his career. The champ has already defeated Big Nog before wrestling the heavyweight strap from then champion Brock Lesnar. When asked how he feels on the possible Werdum fight, Cain says that he’s fine with facing Vai Cavalo.
“I’m fine with fighting Werdum next,” said Velasquez. “I just heard a while ago that he was next in line for a title shot. Werdum is a tough guy. I have the utmost respect for him, as well. That would be a good fight.”
[Photos from mmaoddsbreaker.com]View Article Source »
Hector Lombard requests to fight in UFC's upcoming event in Brisbane, Australia
Hector Lombard promised to put on an impressive performance a few days before his welterweight debut. The adopted Aussie believes it will be his ticket for the upcoming Brisbane card and he delivered his promise on fight night. He stopped former Strikeforce welterweight champ Nate Marquardt in the very first round of their fight.
“I want to fight in front of my son, friends and fans in Australia,” Lombard said post-fight.Read the rest of the article »
MMA Fighting Events
- No events to show
Written on November 11, 2013
Written on November 09, 2013
Written on November 08, 2013
Written on November 07, 2013
Written on November 06, 2013