- Jon Jones graces the cover of the newest UFC video game... Read more »
- Dominick Cruz and Renan Barao headlines UFC 169 alongsi... Read more »
- Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen set as coaches in TUF ... Read more »
- UFC 166 results: Velasquez stops Cigano in 5 rounds Read more »
- JDS: Trilogy will not end the Velasquez - dos Santos ri... Read more »
- UFC cuts Palhares following controversial submission wi... Read more »
- UFC Fight Night 29 recap: a night of upsets Read more »
Another Gracie is featured at this week's MMA Hall of Fame -- Carlos Gracie.
Carlos Gracie is Helio Gracie’s older brother. Born on September 14, 1902, he was the first Gracie to learn Judo from a Japanese emigrant to Brazil, Otavio Mitsuyo Maeda. Carlos Gracie then passed the teachings to his brothers Oswaldo Gastao Jr., Jorge and Helio. In 1925, he and his brothers opened their first academy in Brazil, paving the way for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.Read the rest of the article »
For the first time, Fighting Insider will feature a sports icon who made a big contribution to Mixed Martial Arts. Presenting the father of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu -- Helio Gracie.
Born on October 1, 1913, Helio Gracie is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter who founded the Gracie Jiu Jitsu or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with his brother — Carlos Gracie. He is widely considered as one of Brazil’s sports heroes, and known to held the 6th dan rank in Judo.
During his early years, the Judo was commonly referred as Kano Jiu Jitsu or simply Jiu Jitsu. Due to Helio Gracie’s smaller size, the Jiu Jitsu moves was much harder to execute as it requires brute strength. Hence, he adapted the techniques for his particular physical attributes. As a result, Gracie Jiu Jitsu was invented.Read the rest of the article »
MMA Fighting Events
- No events to show
Written on November 11, 2013
Written on November 09, 2013
Written on November 08, 2013
Written on November 07, 2013
Written on November 06, 2013