Send tip

Cain Velasquez dismisses the idea of fighting JDS in the near future

Written on October 21, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Junior dos Santos will have to go back in line for another shot at the heavyweight belt

Cain Velasquez cemented his spot as the greatest heavyweight of our era when he dismantled his rival Junior dos Santos for the second time in three meetings. Velasquez, now up with two wins, has not closed his doors to a JDS fight but he does not see it happening in the near future.

“I was just focused on winning,” Velasquez said. “Who’s to say that in five years that we won’t fight again, but for a while, it will be done.”

The rivalry has now ended after two definitive wins for Cain, the champ will now move on into a possible title defense against Brazilian submission ace Fabricio Werdum. On the other hand, the future remains unclear for the former heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos. With the sustained beating that he suffered from his last fight, it would be safe to say that Cigano will need a considerable amount of time to fully recover. Even Dana White expressed his dismay towards the officiating of the fight. There are few occasions on which White feels the fight should be stopped.

“I’m no doctor, but I have seen a lot of men who are too tough for their own good and JDS is one of them. He was out and this should be stopped,” wrote White in his Twitter page.

Despite the injuries and Cain’s seemingly dismissal of a future rematch, the infinitely tough Brazilian remains adamant on his chances that he will be fighting for the title again.

“I’m gonna go back home, train harder, come back, and face him again,” says dos Santos.

[Photos from kimura.se]

View Article Source »
Share

Fabricio Werdum next in line for the title shot

Written on October 21, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Fabricio Werdum will be the next man that will try to unseat heavyweight champ Cain Velaquez

Fabricio Werdum will likely have the shot at the heavyweight gold according to Dana White. The UFC president made the announcement right after Velasquez’ destruction of longtime rival Junior dos Santos in the main event of UFC 166.

“We’ll probably do Werdum,” White said. “It probably makes the most sense. His whole game has improved. He’s a big, strong, tough, durable guy. His striking has improved.”

White added that Werdum, with his superior ground game, will provide a different challenge for Cain.

“He’s going to want to take it to the ground,” White said of Werdum. “It makes this fight really interesting. Stylistically, we will see who has the better stand-up, and if it goes to the ground, I think for the first time that is a dangerous, dangerous fight for Velasquez.”

Velasquez, who is known to utilize his wrestling skills in most of his fights, will face a legitimate submission artist for the second time in his career. The champ has already defeated Big Nog before wrestling the heavyweight strap from then champion Brock Lesnar. When asked how he feels on the possible Werdum fight, Cain says that he’s fine with facing Vai Cavalo.

“I’m fine with fighting Werdum next,” said Velasquez. “I just heard a while ago that he was next in line for a title shot. Werdum is a tough guy. I have the utmost respect for him, as well. That would be a good fight.”

[Photos from mmaoddsbreaker.com]

View Article Source »
Share

Fabricio Werdum on Cain Velasquez: I’ll submit him if he takes me to the ground

Written on October 17, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Fabricio Werdum vows to submit Cain Velasquez once they face each other inside the cage

Fabricio Werdum has said earlier this month that he will not back away from a striking match against current heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez. Werdum, as much as he wanted to avenge his KO loss to Junior dos Santos, believes that Cain will best the heavy handed Brazilian in this weekend’s PPV event. The submission ace also stated that he is confident on his chances that he can submit Velasquez once they meet inside the cage.

“I want the belt, but Cain Velasquez is a good fight for me too, because he takes down guys, and if he takes me down, for sure I’m finishing him. I’ll try for sure, I know it’s a hard fight. He has good conditioning.”

Werdum’s predictions may not be that farfetched considering his resume. He is a BJJ blackbelt who owns 9 submissions in his 17 wins. It would be safe to assume that his ground game is superior to Cain’s eventhough the current champ also holds a blackbelt in BJJ. Furthermore, Werdum is the only fighter that owns submission wins over MMA legends Big Nog and Fedor Emalianenko.

[Photos from indiemma.wordpress.com]

View Article Source »
Share

Daniel Cormier plans to expose Roy Nelson’s legendary chin

Written on October 16, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Daniel Cormier doubts the longevity of Roy Nelson's legendary chin

Roy Nelson arguably has the best chin in the whole roster of UFC. Big Country has proven it in his entire UFC career; he has managed to stay on his feet while taking the best shots of hard hitting heavyweights like Fabricio Werdum, Frank Mir, Stipe Miocic and Junior dos Santos. Nelson may have lost all that fights but none can argue the toughness that he displayed in those one-sided beatdowns. He has only been stopped once in his career, and that happened more than 5 years ago at the hands of former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Werdum blasts Overeem: “He’s not the same fighter without the juice”

Written on October 07, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Fabricio Werdum attributes Alistair Overeem's dominance to performance enhancing drugs

Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem have met twice in their career and each of them holds a victory over the other. Werdum drew first blood when he submitted Overeem in Pride more than seven years ago. The former K-1 Grand Prix champion later avenged the loss with a unanimous decision victory in 2011.

According to Werdum, Overeem has not performed well after testing for elevated levels of testosterone in the pre-fight test of his scrapped title shot against then champion Junior Dos Santos. Overeem took a year long hiatus and returned to the cage with back to back knockout losses to Antonio Silva and Travis Browne.

“He lacks a little bit in gas because of his steroids,” says Werdum. “He changes a lot if you take his juice off. Everybody saw what happened. Overeem is one fighter with his juice, but he changes completely without the juice. They took his powers.”

However, Werdum also expects Overeem to get past Frank Mir and possibly knock him out in their upcoming fight early next year.

“Let’s see how he does against Frank Mir, if he changed his strategy or training,” he said. “Frank is not doing well recently too, I believe Overeem will defend the takedowns and knock him out.”

[Photos from imguol.com]

 

View Article Source »
Share

Fabricio Werdum Says He Overtrained in his Last Fight Against Alistair Overeem

Written on December 22, 2011 by Clive Wilson

0 person

Heavyweight fighter Fabricio Werdum to fight Roy Nelson in UFC 143

Heavyweight fighter Fabricio Werdum makes a comeback this February via UFC 143. This time he’ll be fighting Roy ‘Big Country’ Nelson in the octagon.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Alistair Overeem Scrapped off from Grand Prix Semis

Written on July 19, 2011 by Lulu

0 person

After winning over Fabricio Werdum at the Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix quarter final, Alistair Overeem was removed to the semifinal match.

Alistair Overeem said on MMA Hour that he may not be able to compete at the Strikeforce World Grand Prix semifinals this September. It is due to lack of preparation, following his vacation to nurse his injuries after he won over Fabricio Werdum for the Strikeforce World Grand Prix quarter finals. The announcement was made on Monday afternoon. However, UFC President – Dana White, who is a Zuffa co-owner – oversees the Strikeforce brand’s announcement that Alistair Overeem is out of the match.

But while other people said that it might be the end of his Strikeforce career, Dana White cleared that he is still employed to the company. Alistair Overeem also discussed the possibility of entering a boxing career in the near future to face one of the world champion, Klitschko brothers. Meanwhile, his return for MMA or boxing is still unknown, though he has a non-exclusive MMA deal that gives him the opportunity to fight overseas.

On the other hand, Daniel Cormier – who have a career stats of 8-0 – will replace him to face Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva. The other semifinal match is between Sergei Kharitonov vs Josh Barnett.

View Article Source »
Share

Jon Jones, GSP and Fabricio Werdum, Listed at 2011 ESPY Awards

Written on June 25, 2011 by Markham Mencken

0 person

Notable MMA fighters - Jon Jones, Georges St-Pierre and Fabricio Werdum - made their way to this year's ESPY Awards.

Notable MMA fighters – Jon Jones, Georges St-Pierre and Fabricio Werdum – are nominated for this year’s ESPY awards. The reigning UFC champs were nominated as Best Fighter, while Fabricio Werdum’s submission win over Fedor Emelianenko last June 2010 is listed for the Best Upset category.

The Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Awards was founded in 1993 to honor last year’s best achievements, moments and leading athletes. Online fan voting for the 2011 ESPY Awards is now open at ESPY Awards’ official website, while the ceremony will take place on July 13 at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, California. The show will air live on ESPN, and will be hosted by Saturday Night Live’s Seth Meyer.

View Article Source »
Share

Alistair Overeem Wins, but With Disappointment

Written on June 20, 2011 by Markham Mencken

0 person

MMA fans saw a very good fighter, certainly. But a world beater. Will Alistair Overeem have another chance to prove that he is best MMA heavyweight fighter?

Last Saturday night, MMA fans tuned in to Showtime to see Alistair Overeem swinging out strikes and throwing vicious knees and clinches. People were excited to see him extinguishing Fabricio Werdum at the Heavyweight Grand Prix. However, what the audience saw was a cautious Demolition Man who dodged many of Fabricio Werdum’s traps on the ground.

Although Alistair Overeem won the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix last June 18 via unanimous decision, he stepped out of the cage in Dallas with a missed opportunity. He was not able to prove the he is the very best. He has grown and looked anything but unbeatable. He looked like the best fighting machine, that no one can outlast him for 15 minutes inside the cage. And though the fans certainly saw a very good fighter, it was not the world beater.

With his current victory, Alistair Overeem will face Antonio Silva in what is anticipated to be a tremendous fight. With their most recent bouts, who do you think will win the match?

View Article Source »
Share

Strikeforce’s Weigh-in at Texas

Written on June 17, 2011 by Lulu

0 person

Strikeforce's official weight-in will be on Friday afternoon at the Lone Star State, Texas. The weigh-in will features Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum, Josh Barnett and Brett Rogers as the main event and other fighter that will participate in the Strikeforce's card.

Saturday, at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Strikeforce’s heavyweight tournament will be held and all the fighters participating on the card will take the scales Friday. The event will be officially broadcast on Showtime and HDNet(prelims).

A rivalry will renew between Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum as their match would headline the event and even the Friday’s weigh-in gathering. The two fighters already met each other in the ring way back May 2006, with Werdum end the match with a submission over Overeem.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

MMA Fighting Events


Featured


View all