Send tip

UFC unveils its plans for 2014

Written on October 24, 2013 by Hector

0 person

UFC has revealed their plans for 2014 as well as the location and dates of UFC on Fox 10, UFC 169 and UFC 170

UFC president Dana White has revealed the company’s plans for 2014 and that involves hosting at least 35 cards for the coming year. It is the most number of event in a single year for the organization. White presented the outline of UFC’s schedule in his appearance on the Wednesday edition of Fox Sports Live.

UFC’s full schedule for 2014:

  • 13 Pay-Per-View events
  • 4 UFC on FOX fights
  • 14 live events on FOX Sports 1 (including two TUF Finales)
  • 4 live events on FOX Sports 2

In addition, he also announced the official date and locations of the three PPV events that will follow the 2014 kick off at Singapore. UFC on Fox 10 will be held at Chicago on January 25 and it will be followed by a stop at New Jersey for UFC 169 (Super Bowl weekend) on February 1. After that, the promotion will head off to Sin City on February 22 for UFC 170, the PPV event will take place at The Mandalay Resorts and Casino, Las Vegas.

Last August, it was revealed that six of the “Fight Night” events will be held in Europe to allow the audience of the region to watch the events at primetime, instead of the usual where they have to watch it in the middle of the night due to the conflicting time zones of Europe and USA. It was also said that UFC is planning for international versions of The Ultimate Fighter in Canada, Australia, India and China.

[Photos from hdwp.net]

View Article Source »
Share

Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen set as coaches in TUF Brazil 3

Written on October 22, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen will settle the score inside the octagon after their stint as coaches of TUF Brazil 3

Bitter rivals Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva are finally booked for an official MMA match. But before that, they will have to serve as coaches in the third season of TUF Brazil.

Dana White made the announcement on the Monday edition of Fox Sports Live:

UFC stars Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva have made no secret of wanting to fight one another, and now it seems that will happen — but only if they make it through a season of working together as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter: Brasil…. Sonnen, no stranger to picking fights against Brazilians, has waged a campaign to fight “The Axe Murderer,” writing him a series of poems and using his victory interview at UFC Fight Night in Boston to call him out. The two also had to be separated when they came face-to-face at an expo last month.”

The announcement points out to the Mr. Olympia expo last month. It that incident, Silva confronts the unsuspecting Sonnen with his own crew filming the action on his back. The two traded verbal slurs and they nearly went at it before being separated by the crowd. Sonnen, would later fire back at Silva in the organization’s weekly news and information show, UFC Tonight.

As with the tradition of TUF, the coaches will face each other after the finale of the series. Both fighters have served as coaches before. Silva was the head coach in the first Brazilian edition of the reality series while Sonnen had his stint in the seventeenth season of TUF.

 

View Article Source »
Share

Holly Holm is taking women’s mix martial arts by storm

Written on October 21, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Holly Holm has caught the public eye by destroying all of her opponents in 5 professional fights

Former boxing champ Holly Holm is certainly making waves in the WMMA world. She has racked up 5 stoppage wins since announcing her transition to MMA earlier this year. Holm’s string of impressive performances has caught the attention of the public, including UFC president Dana White.

“I was on the street the other day, and some guy was like, ‘Hey! Sign Holly Holm!'” says White. “I was like, ‘Yeah, I know. Everybody’s telling me.”

White, who admits that he has not seen a single fight of Holm, says that the former boxer reminds him of Connor McGregor.

“I haven’t seen her fight, but I keep hearing about her. She’s like the female Conor McGregor.”

McGregor, prior to his UFC career has been fighting in regional scenes in Europe. His name has been constantly brought up by his fans in Dana White’s Twitter account. White eventually signs the fast talking Irishman who has now compiled two wins, including a knockout of the night performance in his UFC debut last April.

Holm, on the other hand has been one of the most talked about new comer to the sport, thanks to her extensive career in pro boxing. That being said, a lot of MMA fans have not seen her matches except from youtube videos.

Up to now, the UFC president claims that he has not discussed the potential signing of Holm with UFC matchmakers Sean Shelby and Joe Silva. White pointed out that the two matchmakers are the ones that are responsible with matters concerning the signing of new rosters.

“They know who’s next,” White said. “When it’s time for Holly Holm, they’ll let me know.”

[Photos from mmasucka.com]

View Article Source »
Share

Dana White praises Andre Fili despite missing weight for UFC 166

Written on October 21, 2013 by Hector

0 person

UFC 166’s Andrew Fili puts on an impressive performance when he stopped Jeremy Larsen in his octagon debut

Andre Fili, the only fighter who missed weight in the recently held UFC 166 has received an exemption from UFC president Dana White. According to White, there will be no hard feelings for Fili missing weight. After all, the team Alpha Male member has took the fight in 10 days notice as a replacement for the injured Charles Oliveira.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Dana White on Roy Nelson: I tried my best to like him but he’s delusional

Written on October 21, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Roy Nelson is delusional according to UFC president Dana White

It’s no secret that UFC president Dana White and TUF 10 winner Roy Nelson are not very fond of each other. White however, dismissed that notion that he has ill feelings towards the TUF winner. Instead, he insists that he tried his best to like Nelson but it is the latter’s words that created the rough relation between them.
“Contrary to popular belief, I try so hard to like Roy Nelson. It’s like I saw him backstage before I came out to talk to you guys. I was like, ‘What’s up Roy? You looked good. You lost weight,’ and this and that. Then I come out and hear the stupid s–t he said to you guys right before I walk out there.”

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Fabricio Werdum next in line for the title shot

Written on October 21, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Fabricio Werdum will be the next man that will try to unseat heavyweight champ Cain Velaquez

Fabricio Werdum will likely have the shot at the heavyweight gold according to Dana White. The UFC president made the announcement right after Velasquez’ destruction of longtime rival Junior dos Santos in the main event of UFC 166.

“We’ll probably do Werdum,” White said. “It probably makes the most sense. His whole game has improved. He’s a big, strong, tough, durable guy. His striking has improved.”

White added that Werdum, with his superior ground game, will provide a different challenge for Cain.

“He’s going to want to take it to the ground,” White said of Werdum. “It makes this fight really interesting. Stylistically, we will see who has the better stand-up, and if it goes to the ground, I think for the first time that is a dangerous, dangerous fight for Velasquez.”

Velasquez, who is known to utilize his wrestling skills in most of his fights, will face a legitimate submission artist for the second time in his career. The champ has already defeated Big Nog before wrestling the heavyweight strap from then champion Brock Lesnar. When asked how he feels on the possible Werdum fight, Cain says that he’s fine with facing Vai Cavalo.

“I’m fine with fighting Werdum next,” said Velasquez. “I just heard a while ago that he was next in line for a title shot. Werdum is a tough guy. I have the utmost respect for him, as well. That would be a good fight.”

[Photos from mmaoddsbreaker.com]

View Article Source »
Share

The Truth stays with UFC

Written on October 18, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Brandon Vera will probably stay with UFC according to Dana White

The UFC has decided to keep Brandon Vera despite going 1-4 with 1 No Contest his last six fights. Vera, who was recently stopped by Ben Rothwell, has been lobbying in the cut list in the latter parts of his career. In fact, several MMA sites have predicted that he will be released from the promotion if he loses to Big Ben, which he eventually did.

Fortunately for Vera, his loss was once again tainted with controversy as his opponent tested positive for testosterone. A similar scenario has happened to him more than two years ago when he lost a unanimous decision to Thiago Silva. Vera was subsequently released from the UFC but they will later re-sign him when it was discovered that Silva submitted a fake urine sample in the post-fight test.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Nick Diaz remains silent about the potential fight with Michael Bisping

Written on October 18, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Nick Diaz has not yet responded to the rumored fight with Michael Bisping

Talks of Nick Diaz’s octagon return has stemmed earlier this week from an interview with Diaz’ close friend and training partner Gilbert Melendez. El Nino has stated Diaz might come out from retirement once he is offered a fight of his liking. After a few days, Michael Bisping noticed the news and decided to join the fray. He wrote in his twitter account that he will be happy to welcome Nick Diaz to the middleweight division.

That being said, UFC President Dana White has revealed that Diaz has not yet expressed an intention to return to the cage.

“I love that fight,” White said following today’s pre-UFC 166 media session. “I love that fight. I like it, but everything I hear from Nick Diaz is that he doesn’t want to fight.”

Nick’s habit for announcing to retire after a loss is perhaps the reason why his retirement has not been taken seriously. He did it first after the Condit loss and it earned him his biggest fight to date, a match with GSP. Considering Diaz’ attempts to land a fight against Anderson Silva a few months ago, it would be safe to assume that it will be just a matter of time before the Stockton native announces his octagon return.

[Photos by www.kimura.se]

 

View Article Source »
Share

Dana White on Bjorn Rebney and Ben Askren: “They don’t matter and I don’t care”

Written on October 18, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Dana White is not sold on Bjorn Rebney's proposal regarding Ben Askren

Dana White shows that he learned a lesson from the Eddie Alvarez incident when he shut down Bjorn Rebney’s offer regarding their welterweight champion Ben Askren. Rebney, the CEO of Bellator MMA has stated a week ago that he is willing to let Askren walk if White grants him a title shot for his UFC debut. Apparently, White is not that interested in the former two time NCAA division 1 wrestling champion.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Bellator willing to release Ben Askren if he gets immediate title shot for his UFC debut

Written on October 11, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Bellator CEO wants a title shot for Ben Askren's UFC debut

Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren will get his boss’ approval to fight in UFC only if they will give him an immediate title shot with Georges St-Pierre. Askren initially said in his Twitter account that he has no plans to leave the sport unless he fights GSP. It seems that his boss, Bjorn Rebney has noticed the tweets and decided to join the fray.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

MMA Fighting Events


Featured


View all