Send tip

UFC seeking for solutions to eliminate eye pokes

Written on October 22, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Tim Boetsch always finds himself in the receiving end of eye pokes

UFC officials are still having a dilemma on how to eliminate or at least lessen the possibility of eye pokes during an MMA match. The organization has started to look for an alternative gloves after UFC 159 but it haven’t helped the situation until now.

In the said PPV card, the co-main event between Alan belcher and Michael Bisping was stopped in the third round when Bisping unintentionally poked the eye of Belcher which rendered him unable to continue. Bisping, who was not deducted for the foul has won the fight via technical decision.

Before that incident, Tim Boetsch suffered an eye poke that resulted in a TKO loss to Costa Philippou in the rematch of Cain and JDS last December. That fight was pretty even until Philippou inadvertently poked Boetsch in the eye in the second frame. The poke clearly affected his performance and Boetsch eventually lost the fight via TKO. He would be again in the receiving end of eye pokes in the recently held UFC 166. In that event, Boetsch was accidentally poked twice by C.B. Dalloway. Dalloway was deducted a point and Boetsch takes the W with a split decision.

Dana White admits that the promotion is having a tough time regarding the issues of accidental eye pokes. He believes that the most possible solution is to remind the fighters to keep their hands closed.

“Keep your f—ing fingers closed. The eye-poke is the most dangerous thing that happen out there. Tim Boetsch already had surgery on his [poked eye], and he pokes him twice. It’s bad. Keep your hands closed.”

[Photos from mmaconvert.com]

View Article Source »
Share

Rockhold wants Carmont for his octagon return

Written on October 18, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Luke Rockhold is planning for a comeback before the end of the year and he wants "Limitless" or Costa Philippou for that fight

Luke Rockhold plans to return to the octagon before the end of this year and the former Strikeforce middleweight champ is eyeing Francis Carmont and Costa Philippou as possible opponents. “Rocky” was supposed to fight this weekend against Tim Boetsch but a knee injury yanked him out of the bout. In the recent edition of UFC Tonight, Rockhold revealed that he is nearing full recovery and he targets to compete in UFC’s year end card.

“Rockhold is hoping to be cleared for MMA training in 2 weeks. Wants to fight @franciscarmont at UFC 168. If not, @Philippou185UFC”

Carmont responded to the tweet and stated that he is willing to fight Rockhold at any given point.

“Luke Rockhold wants to fight me, he is the champion of Strikeforce, I’m ready, let’s go.”writes Carmont on his twitter account.

Rockhold, who wrestled the Strikeforce 185 belt from the highly touted Jakare Souza, was stopped by Vitor Belfort in the first round of his UFC debut. The loss to Belfort ended Rocky’s 9-fight winning streak. Meanwhile, Francis Carmont is just coming off a win against Costa Philippou in last month’s UFC 165. He is undefeated in his 6 UFC fights and the said victory was his 11th win in a row.

[Photos from ataquetotal.com.br]

View Article Source »
Share

MMA Fighting Events


Featured


View all