Send tip

Frank Mir considering retirement if he will be released from UFC

Written on October 08, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Frank Mir while protesting the stoppage loss to Josh Barnett at UFC 164

Former heavyweight champion Frank Mir is thinking of retirement once the promotion cuts him if he loses to Alistair Overeem in UFC 169. The fight between the two is considered as a “loser leaves town” battle since both fighters is coming off consecutive losses. Mir is in a 3 fight losing skid while Overeem has suffered back to back losses. Both men were stopped twice in those defeats.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Dana White scrapped Jones – Teixeira from Super Bowl weekend event

Written on October 08, 2013 by Hector

0 person

The UFC light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira will no longer headline UFC 169

It looks like fight fans will have to wait longer for the light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira. It was officially announced last week that the fight will take place in UFC 169 but Dana White scrapped the idea and told the media that the schedule of the fight has not been finalized yet.

“Jones vs. Teixeira on February 1 is never, ever a done deal” says Dana White in an interview last Monday. He made it clear that the fight will certainly happen but not on the rumored date.

“That’s going to be later. That was never a done deal. “Our people put it out, but they shouldn’t have” added the UFC president.

He then hinted that Jones and Teixeira would likely square off in March, around the same time with Alexander Gustafsson’s return bout in Sweden or London. White also promised that Jones and Gustafsson would surely meet again if both fighters win their next fights.

It was also announced last week that the heavyweight matchup between Alistair Overeem and Frank Mir was moved to the Super Bowl event (UFC 169) from its original schedule on November 16. The removal of the Jones – Teixeira fight leaves Mir vs. Overeem as the only match that was scheduled for UFC 169.

View Article Source »
Share

Werdum blasts Overeem: “He’s not the same fighter without the juice”

Written on October 07, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Fabricio Werdum attributes Alistair Overeem's dominance to performance enhancing drugs

Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem have met twice in their career and each of them holds a victory over the other. Werdum drew first blood when he submitted Overeem in Pride more than seven years ago. The former K-1 Grand Prix champion later avenged the loss with a unanimous decision victory in 2011.

According to Werdum, Overeem has not performed well after testing for elevated levels of testosterone in the pre-fight test of his scrapped title shot against then champion Junior Dos Santos. Overeem took a year long hiatus and returned to the cage with back to back knockout losses to Antonio Silva and Travis Browne.

“He lacks a little bit in gas because of his steroids,” says Werdum. “He changes a lot if you take his juice off. Everybody saw what happened. Overeem is one fighter with his juice, but he changes completely without the juice. They took his powers.”

However, Werdum also expects Overeem to get past Frank Mir and possibly knock him out in their upcoming fight early next year.

“Let’s see how he does against Frank Mir, if he changed his strategy or training,” he said. “Frank is not doing well recently too, I believe Overeem will defend the takedowns and knock him out.”

[Photos from imguol.com]

 

View Article Source »
Share

Following the footsteps of big brother: Sergio Pettis signs with UFC

Written on October 02, 2013 by Hector

0 person

Sergio Pettis will make his octagon debut against Vaughan Lee in UFC 167: St. Pierre vs. Hendricks

Sergio Pettis, the younger brother of UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis will make his octagon debut next month. He will face off against Vaughan Lee as part of the card of UFC 167: St. Pierre vs. Hendricks.

The 20 year old Milwaukee native branded as “The Phenom” is earlier regarded as a flyweight prospect. However, he will campaign as a bantamweight in the UFC. He is unbeaten in his 9 professional fights with only 3 of those fights going the distance. In his latest outing, Pettis submitted James Porter with a kimura in the 2:33 mark of the first round.

His opponent, Vaughan Lee (13-9-1, 3-2 in UFC) has split his last 2 fights. He beat Motonobu Tezuka via unanimous decision last February but was submitted by Raphael Assuncao in his succeeding fight.

UFC 167 will take place at MGM Grand Garden Arena on November 14. The event is headlined by a welterweight title fight between Georges St-Pierre and Johny Hendricks. It will also feature Chael Sonnen and former light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans in the co-main event as well as a possible “loser leaves town” battle between Alistair Overeem and Frank Mir.

[Photos by jsonline.com]

View Article Source »
Share

Official Fight Card for ‘UFC 146: Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir’

Written on May 02, 2012 by Markham Mencken

0 person

With Alistair Overeem officially out of the main event, UFC Heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos will defend his title against Frank Mir.

The UFC 146 fight card has undergone some major changes over the past few weeks, one was the removal of Alistair Overeem from the main event due to his failure to pass the pre-fight drug test.

With Overeem officially out, UFC Heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos is now slated to defend his title against former Heavyweight champion Frank Mir.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

NSAC Denies Overeem’s Fighter’s License Application

Written on April 25, 2012 by Avlya Jaie

0 person

Alistair Overeem may reapply for a license after nine months, says NSAC

The NSAC has denied UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem’s fighter’s license application. Overeem attended yesterday’s hearing over his failed drug testing, last March 27, during a pre-fight press conference for UFC 146.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Frank Mir Replaces Alistair Overeem in UFC 146

Written on April 21, 2012 by Avlya Jaie

0 person

Frank Mir is tapped as Overeem's replacement in UFC 146, originally expected to face Cain Velasquez.

Alistair Overeem’s looming trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission for failing a pre-fight drug testing has cost him a fight. Apparently, UFC can no longer wait for him to get his fighter’s license and pulled him out of UFC 146. UFC Dana White has made this announcement, late Friday night.

Overeem is replaced by Frank Mir, who will now face Junior Dos Santos in the main event of UFC 146. Mir was originally slated to fight Cain Velasquez in the same event. White did not reveal if Velasquez’ will receive a new opponent, so his status is still uncertain.

Overeem already applied for a Nevada fighter’s license and is set to appear in front of the NSAC, this Tuesday.

View Article Source »
Share

Overeem Applies for a Fighter’s License In Nevada

Written on April 10, 2012 by Lulu

0 person

After failing a pre-fight drug screening by the NSAC, UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem has applied for a fighter's license in Nevada

In preparation for his upcoming bout against Junior dos Santos in UFC 146, UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem has applied for fighter’s license in Nevada.

Read the rest of the article »
Share

Tickets for UFC 146 Available Next Week

Written on March 24, 2012 by Clive Wilson

0 person

UFC 146 tickets on sale next week, fans are invited to Tuesday press conference in Las Vegas

Good news to all UFC fans!  The tickets for the long awaited event: “UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Overeem”, will start selling Friday, next week. The fans are also invited to drop by in the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas, next Tuesday for the event’s press conference.

The tickets will go on sale on March 30 at 3pm and the prices will range from $75 to $800. A presale period exclusively for UFC Fight Club members will start next Wednesday, March 28, at 3 p.m ET, while UFC.com e-newsletter subscribers can buy tickets on Thursday, March 29 at 1 p.m. ET.

UFC 146 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 26 and will be headlined by UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and former Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem.

View Article Source »
Share

Non-jury Trial for Overeem’s Alleged Assault Case Set for March 27

Written on March 15, 2012 by Avlya Jaie

0 person

Alistair Overeem to face non-jury trial on March 27 for his misdemeanor battery charge

After being cited by the Las Vegas Police for “pushing or shoving a woman in the face”, last January 2 in a Las Vegas nightclub, former Strikeforce heavyweight champ, Alistair Overeem is set to face a Non-jury trial for his alleged battery case on March 27. Non-jury trials are the state’s standard for misdemeanor charges.

If convicted for his charge, Overeem will face up to six months in prison and will have to pay a maximum $1,000 fine. Las defense attorney David Chesnoff will defend Overeem in court.

Overeem was signed by UFC, September last year after being released by Strikeforce and has won against Brock Lesnar in UFC 141. He is set to fight Junior Dos Santos for the heavyweight title at the upcoming UFC 146 event, that will be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 26.

View Article Source »
Share

MMA Fighting Events


Featured


View all