Hector Lombard wants a homecoming fight after the knockout win over Marquardt
Hector Lombard requests to fight in UFC's upcoming event in Brisbane, Australia
Hector Lombard promised to put on an impressive performance a few days before his welterweight debut. The adopted Aussie believes it will be his ticket for the upcoming Brisbane card and he delivered his promise on fight night. He stopped former Strikeforce welterweight champ Nate Marquardt in the very first round of their fight.
“I want to fight in front of my son, friends and fans in Australia,” Lombard said post-fight.
Lombard, who has competed at middleweight for the majority of his career, has decided to drop down to welterweight with the suggestion of UFC matchmaker Joe Silva. He expressed his gratitude towards the matchmaker in the interview after the fight.
“A few people doubted me that I could make 170 (pounds), but I did it easier than when I was 185,” Lombard said. “I think Dana White, Joe Silva, and the rest of the UFC was right for me to cut down to 170.”
The KO over Marquardt gave Lombard his second octagon win, the former Bellator champ has alternated wins and losses since signing with UFC last year. Lombard now has a record of 33-4-1, 2-2 in UFC. Marquardt on the other hand has lost three times in a row after winning the Strikeforce welterweight belt in July of 2012.
UFC president Dana White seems to be pleased with the performance of Lombard. White stated that he is working to book him in the Brisbane card that will be held on December 7.
“He looked great tonight,” UFC president Dana White said. “Dan Lambert texted me right after the fight and said come on, give him a fight in Australia. You know what Joe Silva is like; he said that card is packed. We’ll see if we can squeeze him in on the card.”
[Photos from www.zimbio.com]View Article Source »