Jose Aldo wants to move to lightweight but Dana White and his coach says no
Jose Aldo will move to 155 only if Dana White allows him to
Talks of a superfight between featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo and Anthony Pettis had already started even before Showtime won the lightweight championship over Benson Henderson. It was announced early this year that Pettis would drop to 145 lbs to challenge Aldo. However, the 26 year old Milwaukee native suffered an injury and was pulled out of the bout. Aldo defended his belt against Chan Sung Jung instead. He broke his right foot early in the fight but managed to pull a TKO victory due to an injury in The Korean Zombie’s shoulders. Pettis on the other hand, stayed at 155 and went on to win the belt last August 31. He is scheduled to make his first title defense against Josh Thomson in December.
Aldo expressed his desire to fight Pettis in an interview in Barueri, Brazil. He says that he already offered to move up in division but Dana White and his coach advised him to stay at 145. Aldo also said that it is for Dana and his coach to decide the right time to move up in weight.
“Many people talked about moving up, and I’ve asked for that,” states Aldo. “But Andre (Pederneiras, his coach) and Dana White said it wasn’t the right moment. When they think it’s time to move up, I’ll do it no problem.”
The featherweight champ added that if it would be his call, he would love the superfight to take place at 155.
“I never chose opponents, but I can say one name now, and it is Pettis, for all the talk that has happened,” he said. “He would be the right person for me to fight today. It would be even better to fight him at lightweight so I wouldn’t need to cut weight.”
[Photos from gazetaesportiva.net]View Article Source »