UFC 118: Events Recap
The complete recap of the UFC 118 game last Saturday. See who went home victorious.
Saturday’s UFC 118 made victory bloody great. First, the rematch between Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn for the lightweight title aimed well, making Edgar retain his title. It seems that the Saturday’s event was a continuation of the UFC 112 fight. Penn was striked by Edgar all over in all angles. All aiming for take down.
On the 4th round, Penn scored but not long after Edgar got him and that ended up the fight in Edgar’s hands.
Ultimately, the judges gave him the shutout victory, and Edgar won the fight via scores of 50-45 on all three cards.
“B.J. really brought the best out in me,” said Edgar, who now can stake claim to the world’s No. 1 lightweight ranking. “I knew he was going to come in tough again. It was close the first time, and I just wanted to make a point.”
“Frankie fought a great fight,” said Penn, who’s unsure if he’ll remain at lightweight or try his luck at 170 pounds. “He fought me twice, and he walked away with a decision twice. What can I say?”
Penn (15-7-1 MMA, 11-7-1 UFC) suffered loss of back-to-back for the second time in his career. Edgar improved to 13-1 (8-1 in UFC), and thanks to a giant former now knows his next challenger.
“I worked on that arm-triangle choke for more than a year,” said Couture, who now owns the biggest “MMA vs. boxing” victory in the short history of head-to-head competition between the two combat sports. “It was nice to finally get it. I think realistically even if he were training for nine months, that’s a lot of stuff you have to pick up in a short matter of time,” he said. “I give him credit for getting in here.”
Despite the talks that he used to say long before the fight Toney just said, “He just caught me. He got me on the ground, and I couldn’t get back up.”
Here is the UFC 118 results:
* Frankie Edgar def. B.J. Penn via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45) to retain lightweight title
* Randy Couture def. James Toney via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:19
* Demian Maia def. Mario Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Gray Maynard def. Kenny Florian via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
* Nate Diaz def. Marcus Davis via technical submission (guillotine) – Round 3, 4:02
* Joe Lauzon def. Gabe Ruediger via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:01
* Nik Lentz def. Andre Winner via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
* Dan Miller def. John Salter via submission (anaconda choke) – Round 2, 1:53.
* Greg Soto def. Nick Osipczak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Mike Pierce def. Amilcar Alves via submission (cross-body armbar) – Round 3, 3:11